Thursday, July 23, 2009

Horticulture at University of Farmingdale



It's a beautiful thing! I just had to go back and check out the gardens at SUNY Farmingdale. Prof. Iverson really has his students working up a sweat in the gardens there, they always look beautiful. Here are some pictures I took while walking around the gardens that I had been instrumental in creating while I was a student there. Enjoy!

Here is the Entrance from the North parking lot.

Just as you step inside the garden gate you are in the formal gardens where you will see 2 beds that are mimicked on each side.




Brugmansia...dorms in the background




Walking into the Tropical Gardens...


Lots of HOT colors...I love it!



Lovely reflective pool strategically placed

in the center of this lush tropical oasis...



Meandering through this cool sunken garden..



Looking over my shoulder for a moment...look ...

there's another small hidden path over there...follow the stones



I found myself on a large rock

in the middle of this shaded pond area...very peaceful and secluded



Through the trees into a clearing where this open terrarium

sits next to the Dutch Venlo style greenhouses...

I loved working in these greenhouses.




Then over to the herbed knot garden...



AAAHHH! Can you smell the herbs?

This garden can really be appreciated more from an uppermost vantage point.

Or from right where I was standing...



And speaking of herbs...did you see the lavender in the silver garden?

Don't miss it!

Hey look there's Prof Iversen.





Make a right through the Privet hedge into the Rose garden...


Tis a Rose..


As I was leaving the parking lot a huge black cloud came overhead

and opened up into a severe thunderstorm with lightning strikes and hail!

The roads immediately flash flooded and my 30 minute ride turned into 1.5 hours.

~Thank you God for letting me have that time in your Garden of Eden.~

~thyme2sow

1 comment: