Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rummage sale unfinished find




I found this unfinished, stained, vintage embroidery project at our church rummage sale this summer in the bottom of a bag of neatly wrapped linens. I am sure the previous owner had embroidered it and must have been so upset after putting so much work into it, because I found a small round orange/brown stain right in the middle of the project. I believe it to be vintage because all of the other unfinished charts in the bag were priced with very old price tags, from the 70's I believe.

Well, as we all know, it is difficult to remove stains from linens, and especially one that was so very dark in color. I decided to take a chance and use oxy clean spray directly on the spot. I left it sit and came back to it in about 30 minutes. I was surprised to see the stain had almost disappeared. I treated is once more and left it sit again. When I came back it was almost all gone.




Now that the stain was barely noticeable I decided to finish it by backing it with vintage fabric and some autumn buttons. I hung it over my stove in the kitchen and here it is. I do not know who did the work, but I will still display it proudly.

~thyme2sow

1 comment: