Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My next project.







One morning a few months ago I decided to take a different route home from church. It was a rainy afternoon and the streets were filled with puddles. As I turned onto a nice residential street I noticed that someone had put their garbage out to the road. I guess I noticed because the next day was not a garbage pickup day and no one else had anything put out. I actually drove past the house and backed the car up when I saw behind the black garbage bags was a doll house! I ran out of the car in the rain to look and back to the car to open the gate and back to the doll house. I tried to lift it at first and it was very heavy. I got it into the truck and wiggled it in. My daughter was yelling the whole time..."what is it mama?" As I got back into the warm car I told her I found something cool and it was for ME! When I brought it into our home I set it in front of the fireplace. I noticed as I looked closer that the original owner had painted it with exterior paint. Thank you! I'm sure that is what saved it. As it dried Autumn was getting very curious so I told her to open the front door. It revealed a completely carpeted 2 story home with calico curtains. I guess this would date the doll house to the early 70's when calico was popular. When I was a little girl in the 70's I did not have a doll house. My daughter Autumn has a beautiful Victorian doll house that she enjoys playing with and now Mommy has something of her own. I now know what my next project will be. I will paint the doll house RED with a BLACK roof and BLACK chimney to look like a salt box house! I will reuse some of the calico and stitch all of the bedding. I just remembered that I had purchased a miniature embroidery book at the same time that we purchased Autumn's doll house. I opened the first page and came to a tiny sampler. Perfect for above the mantle! There are projects for pillows, a black work bed cover and tiny area rugs! How cute!!! I am very excited to start on this next project and can not wait to post my first finish!
~thyme2sow

2 comments:

  1. What a find! You didn't tell me about this!
    I really wish we lived near each other....
    could you imagine the trouble we would get in?
    lol
    Love ya,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find! You haven't told me about this one!
    I wish we lived near each other..could you imagine the trouble we would get in?
    lol
    Love ya,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete