Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Memorial Day in Windham, NY 2009







I Love our families' Mountain House in Windham, NY. It is such a peaceful place to be. I never want to leave when I am up there. From the minute you step out of the car the smell of wild thyme permeates your senses, and the view is absolutely spectacular! As soon as Autumn gets out of the car she runs toward the stream, which was running just a tiny bit this past visit. Our property is about 42 acres, and is mostly mountainous with a clearing through a right-of-way where there are power lines. This is the best spot for mountain berry picking! I usually find black berries and a few raspberry patches in there. I love hiking by myself and picking as much as I can in a zip lock bag, eating as I go along. The berries are usually their best about Labor Day. We brought our dogs this past weekend. My Weimeraner loves to hike with me while the Basset Hound hangs around the cabin and calls to us at the top of the Mountain.

We did a little work, well my husband Steven did some, while we were there. He put up some crown mouldings along the ceiling and we hooked up a water line from the stream to allow some running water to come to us at the cabin. It was a lot of fun work.

While we were working, we found a tree in the woods where a chipmunk was going in and out of. Autumn made a sign for the entrance of the "house". By the way, the chipmunk is called "Windy". We fed the wildlife all weekend, as we always do, and got a lot of joy out of it. Autumn loves to fill up the feeder with black sunflower seeds for the Black Capped Chickadees, which feed out of her hand, and peanuts for the others, mostly chipmunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment